Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Alexis Morgan's Birth Story

Alexis Morgan 11/19/10 2:22pm
7lbs 11oz 19in


Let's back track some. When I first found out I was pregnant, I had figured my due date was November 5th (my nephew, Tyson's birthday). But in mid-June, I had my first of 3 ultrasounds which showed baby to be measuring small and giving me a new due date of November 26th. I had 2 more ultrasounds to get all of the right measurements and to see how she was growing. My doctor and I decided that with my new date being the day after Thanksgiving, we would schedule me to be induced on the 19th (my oldest brother, Mark's and my cousin, Martha's birthdays). I went in for my weekly appointment on October29th and found out that I was already dilated to 3cm. I came home and became a cleaning machine. I wanted to be sure everything was in order in case baby decided to make an early appearance. Tim and I packed our bags and tried to get a good night sleep. By Saturday morning, I didn't feel great and couldn't sleep. I had contractions a lot that day. They continued into Sunday, HALLOWEEN. The contractions were about 5 to 7 minutes apart all afternoon. I was determined to take the boys trick-or-treating. I managed to go with Tim to take the boys trick-or-treating to at least a few houses. By the time everyone was back home my contractions had gotten closer and Tim and I made the decision to go to the hospital to get checked out. I was still at 3cm but my contractions were consistently 3 to4 minutes apart. The nurse would have guessed that I would have progressed some in the time I was there, but I didn't so I was sent home.

Went back to the doctor on November 3rd and I was now 4cm dilated. My doctor was sure I would have this baby early. But no another week passed and I was at the doctor again on November 12th. Again, I was dilated to 4cm and still uncomfortable. I called Tim's parents to see if they would come in a day early (on the 16th), so that they could stay with the boys while I went to my last doctor's appointment. I made it to my last appointment on November 17th. This time I was still 4cm but I was also about 70% effaced. All was a go for my 8am induction on the Friday, November 19th.

Tim and I got up early to get ready for the hospital. I had had contractions all night and knew for sure that once induction started baby would be here quickly. My biggest fear the last weeks of this pregnancy was that my water would break and I wouldn't have time to make it to the hospital. Both boys inductions went quickly, especially once my water broke. So Tim's parents get here and the then the hospital called. Oh no, not again. You see, when Spencer was due, my induction got cancelled for the 19th of December because there was no room. I was pushed to the 21st. I couldn't believe this was happening again. I explained to the nurse that I thought I was already in labor and she said then I should come get checked out. Tim and I decided we would wait some because we didn't want to be sent home. The nurse called back about 3o minutes later to make sure we were coming in to get checked. So we packed the car and we were on our way. I was kept in a room to be monitored until about 11:30 when they finally had a labor and delivery room available for me. My nurse, Michelle, started some fluids. After 30 minutes, I received my epidural and then Dr. Harris broke my water. Pitocin was administered and then less than an hour later I was completely dilated. With 2 contractions, Alexis was born (only an hour and 7 minutes after induction fully started).


A couple of unique things with Alexis. She is A+ and I'm O+. Also, she had a complete knot in her cord. Fortunately, neither caused any complications:) Alexis is such a blessing and we are so very happy that she is here:)

No comments: