Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Allergies

Back when we first introduced Spencer to formula, we noticed that everytime he drank it he would end up with a rash around his mouth. After a few attempts the doctor said it sounded like a milk allergy and to give him soy. He didn't have any problems with the soy. But after talking to a few different people, I am now concerned with giving him soy. I guess soy has a lot of estrogen in it, not something a little boy or any small child needs. I have yet to introduce other high allergen foods with him not knowing if there is really allergies there. So I asked my doctor what I could do and she suggested that we start with a blood test to verify what foods he may/may not be allergic too. I took Spencer on Monday and finally have the results.

I was sad to see that there was a list of things he was allergic to. Here they are in order from most severe to least severe: peanuts, egg whites, dog/cat dander, soybeans, and milk. I am waiting to hear back from the nurse. She is going to refer us to an allergist. It may be that he can have cheese and yogurt, but she suggested that I switch him to rice milk. I'm going to finish off the soy milk we have b/c he hasn't had problems with it up to this point and then we'll try the rice milk.

I'm hoping that he will outgrow some or all of these. I'm not going to stress too much until I talk to an allergist and see what Spencer's numbers actually are.

No comments: