Friday, February 22, 2008

Disappointment

Well, I was very disappointed in Mason today. He did not participate in soccer at all. The coach allowed me to stay in the room but Mason just clung to me. He listened the majority of the time but with only 10 minutes left in class he was saying he wanted to go home (out loud). I didn't want him to be a distraction to the other kids so we left. He was soooo excited about taking soccer. We talked it up and explained to him how it was going to be. I guess will give it another try next week. The coach on the other hand was awesome. He was really good with the kids and was able to engage them. I always dreaded that my kid would be the one that wouldn't just go with the flow and now I am living it. I hate that I feel so disappointed in him and know that this is the first class that he is taking without Mommy so I should just let it go and try again. If anyone has suggestions, please pass them my way.

7 comments:

Barb said...

I remember when I took Tabitha to her first dance lessons. She was a little nervous about joining in with the other girls - but she did join in after some coaxing. I wouldn't worry too much about Mason not wanting to participate this week - but I would continue to talk with him about participating next week and let him know that you expect him to participate. He may have just been overwelmed by everything today.

Barb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Ella's first soccer class was last Wednesday and it was 26 kids and only two adults. Within the first three minutes the lady was blowing her whistle at Ella yelling "Hey, you!" Needless to say, I wasn't too happy about that. Ella didn't seem to mind a stranger blowing a whistle at her, though. My advice to you would be to try again and see if Mason will stick with it. It may take him a week or two to warm up. Definitely don't give up. He may just want to sit back and take it all in for a week or two before jumping into it.

Tammy said...

I think it is a boy thing. Girls seem more ready to do activities quicker. Brennan's first gymnastics class was awful. He did the same thing, until I finally left because it wasn't worth pushing him. Our second class was much much better. We all wish our children would act perfect in these situations, but in the end they are just acting their ages. Don't push him. Let him realize it is something fun. Or do it the hard way as I do with Maya, if she has a bad class and she doesn't participate at a level that I feel is appropriate, I threaten to take the class away from her. I tell her she has one more chance to go and if she doesn't play or listen, we are done. Harsh, but true. It works everytime.

Liz said...

Thanks for the advice. We are going to continue to talk it up all week and try again on Friday. I need to remember that even though he is the big brother, he is only 3 and never been separated from Mommy (unless with family or close friends). It was probably very overwhelming for him. I just want him to be ready for preschool in the fall, so would like to keep him enrolled in different activities until then.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Looks like you need no advice, but I do understand what you are going through. Both of my almost-3 yo's are the same way. We had the same thing at swimming lessons. I just remind myself that someday I will wish he was clinging to my leg.

Dawn said...

why do you need me to post? everyone else has already! LOL- anyway I'm diggin' the catchlights- you go girlie!